Sponsorship of Family Members

Permanent residents and Canadian citizens who have immigrated to Canada and made the tough decision to leave their family behind in their home country yearn for the day to be reunited with their families.

The most common question Canadian citizens and permanent residents ask immigration lawyers is how can they sponsor their families to come to Canada.

You may be eligible to sponsor certain family members to Canada under the Family Class if you’re at least eighteen years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.

It is important to note if you sponsor someone to come to Canada you must:

  • support your relative financially when they arrive,
  • be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relatives, such as food, shelter, and clothing, and
  • make sure your relative doesn’t need social assistance.

Canada will insist on sponsors signing what is called an undertaking. The undertaking makes you financially responsible to the person you decide to sponsor in Canada for a period of time. The period of time you are financially responsible for the sponsored person can range from three to twenty years, depending on the person’s living situation and their relationship to you.

The relatives that may be sponsored are:

  • spouses,
  • common-law partners,
  • conjugal partners,
  • dependent children,
  • parents,
  • grandparents, and
  • orphaned brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, and grandchildren who are under eighteen years of age and not married.

We understand how difficult a decision it is to sponsor your family in Canada. We also understand how difficult it may be to navigate the immigration laws surrounding sponsorship. We strive to help families not only understand the laws surrounding sponsorship but also make the process less stressful. If you have any questions, please call Heath Law LLP to book a consultation.